Ashoka is launching a local Youth Venture program to support budding social entrepeneurs. Since 1996, Ashoka’s Youth Venture’s have been inspiring and investing in teams of young people as they start their own sustainable social ventures. By connecting them with funding opportunities and a powerful global network of mentors, Youth Ventures has supported over 3,500 teams of 12-20 year olds to make an impact across 20 countries. Check out all the inspiring projects here.
Intrigued? Read further for more details of how our bay area youth can become part of this network of global changemakers. Applications are due on January 5th, 2010, so act fast in spreading the word. You’ll find the applications on the following web-site: http://www.genv.net/sfbayarea/application
YVC is looking for changemakers:
- Who are between the ages of 12-20
- Who live in Oakland
- Who have solid, well-thought out ideas for how they can make the world a better place
- Who want to create projects that are intended to be ongoing rather than short-term
- Also, because this is the first program they’re launching in the Bay Area, we’re looking for young folks that would do well serving as local ambassadors.
Accepted youth will be partnered with a mentor whose skills match their specific interests and passions. And, they will also have the opportunity to:
- Receive up to $1,000 in seed funding to launch their venture
- To receive seed funding, they will need to present their idea to a panel of judges at the conclusion of the group sessions.
- Apply for additional competitions that are only open to Youth Venturers
- Every year, Youth Venture launches several competitions. At the moment, they are running one with Best Buy: http://at15.org/contests_scholarships/community_impact
- Attend the Youth Venture Global Summit
- Each summer, Youth Venture has a Global Summit where Youth Venturers from all over the world come together to share their passion and experience with each other. Click here to learn more about last year’s summit at the MIT campus in Boston.
- Serve as a Global Youth Venture ambassador.
- Travel with Youth Venture to other countries.
- This summer, for instance, Youth Venture is partnering with the American Council on Foreign Relations to bring 15 U.S.-based Youth Venture teams to Serbia.
If you have any questions, you can contact Hub Bay Area member Amy Wilson, Director of Ashoka’s San Francisco Bay Area Youth Venture, at firstname.lastname@example.org or at 510-333-8465.