This Thursday, November 19, 2009, 6Pm-8PM at Hub Bay Area, Katovich Law Group will be hosting panel discussion Cutting Edge Capital Raising for Small Business – Existing Options and a Policy Agenda for the Future.
FREE, Please RSVP here, wine and snacks will be served.
- Thomas Greco, Author of The End of Money and the Future of Civilization
- John Katovich, President of Katovich Law Group, Presidio School of Management Professor, and Chief Legal Officer of the Boston Stock Exchange
- Don Shaffer, President and CEO of RSF Social Finance
- Leslie Christian, President and CEO of Portfolio 21 Investments
- Derek Huntington, President of Sonoma County Go Local
- Mike Leung, Worker Cooperative Credit Union Organizer
- Jenny Kassan, Managing Director of Katovich Law Group and President of Community Ventures
In the United States today, small businesses constitute about one-half of the private economy in terms of output and jobs, but they receive almost no investment from the nation’s pension funds or from mutual, hedge, venture, or any other kind of investment funds. In a well-functioning financial system, roughly one-half of the investment should go to roughly one-half of the economy.
We will begin the evening with a presentation about one of the primary causes for this market failure: the legal barriers to raising capital that disproportionately burden small businesses.
Next we will discuss some cutting edge strategies that have been used to overcome these barriers.
We will conclude with a discussion of legislative changes needed to address the barriers to capital-raising for small business and the formation of a working group to move the agenda forward.
Please join us at Hub Bay Area for this engaging discussion!